The most widely used and the most inefficient piece of equipment in the gym is the treadmill for cardio.
The main issue with the treadmill is the belt moving below you. It provides absolute no resistance to your muscle. As I have mentioned in my previous blog, you need resistance to grow. Without resistance or stimulation muscle will not be forced to grow.
If you can run 2km in 9mins on the treadmill. On any hard surface you will not be able to clock the same distance in the same time without putting in any extra effort.
On an average one spends 4-5 hours on the treadmill with unrealistic readings of your calories burnt. In front of the time spend and the value gained, it is not worth it.
Hence with the belt moving below you, your hamstring and your gluteal muscles won’t get any resistance or stimulation. Neither does any other part of your body work while you are on the treadmill. Given all the other exercises you can do, treadmill should be sent to the graveyard.
There are countless number of exercises that are extremely effective and will give you more bang for your time.
Top exercises to replace the treadmill –
1. HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training) – Going through exercises without taking any rest which keeps your heartbeat elevated. After you have completed the circuit you make take a certain amount of rest depending upon your goals and stamina.
2. Jump Rope/Skipping – Amazing exercise for conditioning.
3. Barbell Complex – Using light weight on the bar, going through exercises back to back with taking only a brief amount of rest and repeat for a desired amount of sets.
4. Running – Slow long cardio is equally important as high intensity cardio.
5. Sprinting – Excellent exercise for conditioning and increasing explosiveness.
6. Kettlebell – Kettlebells are an extremely versatile piece of equipment. It can be used for everything. Kettlebell swings is one exercise that improves your conditioning and stamina.
7. Burpees – It is the king of all exercises for cardio. There is no other exercise that utilizes all the muscles in your body.
8. Walking – If in the end you have to go for a walk, its best to go outside and breathe some fresh air than the treadmill in the gym.
These are just a few examples on how you can substitute the treadmill. For more details or questions write email@example.com