If there is one thing you do in your training routine endlessly are crunches.
The word crunches are synonymous with the word abs. As much as you believe that they will give you a strong core and abs.
The truth is far from it. Apart from the fact that the stress you are causing to your lower back and how the hip flexors are helping you almost the entire time not engaging the core muscles.
So that we are on the same page. Your core is not just your abs but it extends all the way to your back.
A majority of the people do not even know the correct method to do crunches without breaking the neck and causing stress to the back.
These so called personal trainers are very much to blame for it. And if you take offence to it. Then yes you are the problem. Sit ups and crunches have been highly promoted by TV Commercials, magazines and the so called fitness gurus.
200 side bends
The only result you will get is a damaged core and a fatigued nervous system.
Vince Gironda, the father of bodybuilding, also said “never crunch and do endless sit ups”. He once asked a person who he was training to leave the gym for doing crunches.
Top Reason to leave crunches behind –
1. Crunches only work the surface muscles and not the deeper muscles. Just because you get a burn after endless crunches does not mean you are working your core. It does not strengthen the core and increases the risk of injury.
2. Damage caused to the nervous system Nerve damage is another consequence as it puts unhealthy strain on the lower back.
Exercises to replace crunches in your training routine –
1. Farmers Carry – Pick up the heaviest pair of dumbbells in your gym and go for a walk.
2.Lifting Heavy – Any heavy lifting will strengthen your core.
3. Hanging Leg Raises – If done with proper form, its an excellent way to train those abs.
4. Planks – They will add stability and will strengthen the abs along with the lower back.
5. Ab Suctions – Breathe out completely and hold that position for a few seconds. Tighten your entire body except for neck above for the increased tension.
6. Ab Roll Out Wheel – This exercise will not only work your abs but your core, back and shoulders as secondary muscles. You can also do this exercise with a bar or dumbbells if you don’t have access to a roll out wheel.
7. Turkish Get Up – Its one of the best exercise you can do for your core but make sure your form is correct to get maximum benefit and be injury free.
Demonstrations of all exercises are available on youtube.
These are just a few exercises that you can add to your training.
To know more, email at firstname.lastname@example.org
156 Comments on “Why You Should Stop Doing Crunches”